Friday, June 8, 2007

Didn't See Him Doing It This Way

Remember in Acts 12 when Peter is in prison and God miraculously releases him the night before he was to go trial? It took Peter a while to recognize God was doing a good thing, and he wasn't dreaming.

Then when he goes to John Marks house, little Rhoda goes and tells all the "church folks" God just answered their prayers. And they told the servant girl she was out of her mind. Now here God does what everybody asks Him to do, and nobody can recognize the results of His answering their prayers. I would never miss God on something so obvious as that. Famous last words. Confession is good for the soul. And all those other sayings.

It's been a while since our church has had any sort of youth group. I'm not really sure why, but in the three years we've been here there just hasn't been one. So my wife and I have been praying that God would send folks with youth, just send youth, or how ever He chose to do it, but we felt burdened for the youth of our city. There are churches in town with good youth groups, but there is still a great harvest in the field.

Last Tuesday as I was walking over to the sanctuary, there were three guys skateboarding the ramps around the entrance. I jokingly asked them if we built a half-pipe on the back parking lot would they come to church on Wednesday night and help me reach out to some of the other neighborhood kids. They half-heartily said yes, and they had plans for a simple ramp they wanted to build. I told them the church would buy the lumber if they brought me the plans and let me take a look. Of course they told me they would be back Wednesday.

Well Wednesday came and went, and no plans. I really had given up by lunch on Thursday. Later in the afternoon I was in the sound room trying to trace down a wayward mic, when in walks six guys, all with skateboards and one carrying plans.

I had ask God for something, and He provided. But because He did it in a completely "out of left field" way, I was like the disciples who didn't believe Peter was at the door. I just did not see it happening this way.

The half-pipe is under construction, and I am looking forward to our first in a long time youth service on Wednesday night. Gotta build some relationships, so pray for a 54 year old novice skateboarder. It's a great ride when God puts it together.

3 comments:

Dave Watts said...

That's an awesome story. Make sure you wear a helmet if you're going to imitate Tony Hawk.

Dave Watts said...

That's awesome. Wear a helmet if you are going to imitate Tony Hawk!

Donny Phillips said...

got any pictures yet?